7 Ways to Reduce Your Cannabis Waste
As Earth Month approaches, it’s important to consider ways we can reduce our impact on the environment, including in our cannabis consumption.
Cannabis waste is a growing concern, and we can reduce our impact on the environment in several ways while still enjoying our favourite plant!
Canadian Cannabis Regulations and Waste
Unfortunately, as many of us have come to realize, Canadian cannabis regulations have contributed to significant amounts of waste.
For example, Health Canada requires that cannabis products be packaged in opaque, child-resistant packaging, which is often excessive and not recyclable. In addition, strict testing requirements have led to large amounts of cannabis being destroyed due to contamination or low potency. While these regulations are intended to protect consumers, they have led to significant waste and environmental harm.
We can promote a sustainable cannabis industry by supporting eco-friendly brands and eco-friendly regulations!
Here are some tips to help you reduce your personal cannabis waste:
1. Reuse Packaging:
Many cannabis products come in plastic containers, which can contribute to waste. Instead of throwing away these containers, consider reusing them for other purposes.
There are so many fun, and creative ways to reuse your cannabis packaging! Here are just a few ideas to get the ball rolling…
- Storage containers: Cannabis packaging can make great storage containers for small items such as jewelry, coins, or small toys.
- Gift boxes: If you’re giving a gift to a cannabis enthusiast, why not use cannabis packaging as the gift box? It can be a fun and unique way to present a gift.
- Art projects: Cannabis packaging can be used in a variety of art projects such as collages or sculptures. The unique designs and colors can make for interesting and eye-catching art pieces. Click here to read about an emerging Canadian artist reusing cannabis packaging!
- Seedling starters: If you’re a gardener, you can use cannabis packaging as seedling starters. Simply fill the packaging with soil and plant your seeds.
- Stop by our shops in the Spring to get some basil plants growing out of these exact types of containers! 😉
2. Turn Already Vaped Bud into Edibles:
If you use a vaporizer to consume cannabis, you can use the already vaped bud (AVB) to make edibles. AVB still contains cannabinoids, which can be extracted and used in recipes for cannabis-infused butter or oil. This is a great way to get extra use out of your cannabis, reducing waste and saving money.
3. Buy in Bulk:
Buying in bulk can reduce packaging waste, and often results in a lower cost per unit. We offer bulk options for flower, prerolls, and edibles. By buying in larger quantities, you can reduce the amount of packaging waste generated by your cannabis consumption.
4. Support Brands that Support Earth-Friendly Efforts:
Look for brands that prioritize sustainability and environmental responsibility. Some brands use biodegradable packaging, while others donate a portion of their profits to environmental causes. By supporting these brands, you can help encourage the cannabis industry to prioritize sustainability and reduce waste!
5. Compost Cannabis Waste:
If you grow your own cannabis, consider composting the plant waste. Cannabis leaves, stems, and roots can be composted, which can help enrich soil and reduce waste. Composting is an easy and effective way to reduce your environmental impact and create nutrient-rich soil for your garden.
6. Stop buying Disposable Vapes:
Using disposable vape cartridges is a common practice in the cannabis industry, but it is not the most sustainable option. Disposable cartridges contribute to a significant amount of waste, as they are typically made of plastic and other non-biodegradable materials. In addition, the batteries used in disposable cartridges can also be harmful to the environment if not disposed of properly. Plus, you save money in the long run by keeping a rechargeable battery and only replacing the cartridge!
- Here at Farmer Jane we do not carry disposable vapes to help do our part! We have tons of stock of different cartridges to suit anyone’s liking, check out our selection here!
7. Recycle with Farmer Jane!
Did you know that Farmer Jane has our own recycling programs in both Saskatchewan and Manitoba?
Feel free to drop off any of your used plastic packaging at ANY of our locations. We teamed up with two amazing non-profit organizations, EDY Project and ArtsJunktion, who shred this plastic down to create new items made from the recycled plastic!
Reducing cannabis waste is an important part of being a responsible cannabis consumer.
Plus, it feels pretty good too 😉
By reusing packaging, turning AVB into edibles, buying in bulk, supporting earth-friendly brands, composting waste, returning your plastic packaging, and advocating for more sustainable regulations, we can reduce our impact on the environment and promote a more sustainable cannabis industry.